Friday, January 29, 2010

Detours and Bridges

I hate driving at night.
I hate driving on bridges.
And I hate trying to follow a detour in a strange town because I am completely certain that I am going to miss the sign and get lost and be stuck somewhere I don't want to be.
As anyone who lives in Southern California knows the highway system here can be sketchy at times. There are bridges on top of bridges on top of bridges to connect sometimes up to 4 highways in way too close of a proximity (the 405/105 interchange is the worst in my opinion, but that is besides the point).
Tonight I went out to celebrate a friend's 21st birthday (Happy Birthday Ivy!). As I was driving to the location chosen to host the celebration I had to change highways twice. That is 3 different highways I had to use to go somewhere that was less than 2o miles away. Insanity!
As I was driving I noticed that the highways I was going on had those bridges on top of bridges on top of bridges. I was worried about the first. The second one though when the realization hit that I would have to be on those bridges upon.... You get the point.
I went about my way, having fun at Dave and Busters (won a GIANT gummy bear- about the size of a softball.)
Around 10 I left to go home. As I was leaving I saw a sign saying that the on-ramp that I needed was closed and that I was going to have to go on a detour...
Uh oh.
Take a deep breath. Remember, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Deep breaths, you can do this.
Alright, turn right here. Turn left here, keep going... Was I suppose to turn there?
Eventually I figured out that the car in front of me was following the detour too. There is comfort in knowing that someone else is just as lost as I am.
Phew, I finally make onto the 15 freeway. Then comes the 60... Oh no, I have to go on the BRIDGE- and not just the lower one. No, it has to be the higher one.
Alright. Deep breath, you can do this.
Gripping the steering wheel as tightly as I can and still be able to navigate the curve that goes along with the height (they can't just make then straight, can they? No, they must have them curving. I hate bridge makers).
Phew. I got through that one. Now onto the next one... The 215. Oh crap. I think this one is higher.
Deep breath, you can do this. Oh no, I don't think I can do this. Ahhh!!
Phew. I am on the home stretch now.
I got home in one piece.... It was a close call though.

No comments:

Post a Comment