Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Things We Do For Vanity

My feet hurt. I would like to say it was for something noble- like walking 5 miles to save gas. But no. I wore heels today at work, forgetting that I was going to be training 15 new peope today. Then again, I didn't think I was going to have to stand. I was suppose to be sitting down and only instructing two or three people. But it didn't happen that way; my life is ruled by Murphy's Law (by the way, I still haven't figured out who Murphy is and why he gets a law).
A while back I decided (after a long office meeting that included a discussion about the office dress code) that I should look more professional. And I do. Not only do I look more professional, I like to think I look cuter too. I have discovered that I like to wear skirts (they hide my "extra" weight rather nicely). I like to wear heels. They make me feel sophisticted. And for someone who is mentally at least 3 to 4 years younger than I am, it is important that I feel like I am accomplishing something in my life that makes me feel more my age.
Speaking of accomplishments and age, my 1o year high school reunion is coming up- or it would be if anyone is organzing it. And I don't want to go to it and say "Well, I moved to California. That is about as big of an accomplishment as I could acheive in the past 10 years". No. I want to say something MUCH more impressive. Something along the lines of "Well, I moved to California, was on a TV show and you could actually SEE me. I got into grad school in LA and will start this fall. I am a manager at the place I work and don't I look cute?" The cute part being the most important.
But my feet still hurt.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great deal of stuff you have going on that will make for an excellent blog too.

    Interesting reading.

    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete