Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pretty Good Is a Qualified Answer

For anyone who doesn't know me I'm sick a lot. And if you do know me I'm still sick a lot. Needless to say people are always checking up on me, not just normal "hey how ya doin" but "how are you feeling today" or "how are you dealing". Many years ago I decided on an honesty policy when people ask me questions like that. Mostly I answer "Pretty Good". That is my honest answer, sure maybe I could elaborate but I don't want to overload people with my problems unless they really want them. But that's a point for another ramble. Anyway..... back to pretty good...... So I give this practically all the time, and it really is an honest answer. If I'm out and about, or had enough energy to let you in my front door I'm pretty good. What gets me is the audacity of some people to say "just pretty good?" Oh come on folks!!!! Accept the fact that my life has more challenges than yours and the fact that when I get out I'm only 'pretty good'. Be thankful that I'm not miserable, horrible, bad, or even awful. Also remember that pretty good is better than just plain good. So no I'm not to your level of everyday is described as terrific or awesome those words I reserve for extremely special days so I, and those close to me, know that it really was a stand out day.
So if someone says they are pretty good take that at face value. Let them enjoy whatever level of good their day is. And if you have to ask a secondary question ask, "What makes it pretty good?" but only if you really want to listen and care about what will come out of that person's mouth next. And if you are a person describing your day, never lie. If your day really is awesome, bad, rockin, or even pretty good then say so people want the truth.
Until the next ramble :)

No comments:

Post a Comment